Preparing your child to visit the dentist
Posted on May 16
Tricks for kids when coming to the dentist – things you could do:
- Role play– You can play dentist at home! Ask your child to ‘open wide’ and count their teeth. Let them see their smile in the mirror afterwards. Your child may also like to be the dentist – encourage them to role play with a doll or teddy.
- Modelling– Introduce a role model so your child can observe and imitate actions, such as ‘Peppa Pig goes to the dentist’.
- Positive attitude – When talking to your child about the dentist, keep the conversation positive and try to avoid any unpleasant words.
- Positive reinforcement– if your child behaves during their dental appointment, reward them! E.g. with a sticker, verbal praise or a trip to the park. This will encourage them to repeat their positive behaviour next time.
- Bring something familiar– E.g. A toy. Having something familiar around them may make them feel more at ease.
- Emphasize good oral health– Stressing the importance of x2 daily tooth brushing for 2 mins and replacing sugary treats with sugar free ‘tooth safe’ snacks reduces the risk of your child from needing lots of treatment.